Monday, April 13, 2009

4/13- Exodus: Part II

I am in a weird way today. For the nuts and bolts of the day I refer you to Todd's post on today, I'm feeling too funky to get into that. Their is a strangeness in my blood that I'm having a hard time processing to the point that this was almost just going to be an email to Ang, but I like making my innards public when I can. Its the dare devil in me.

In a very brief, blotchy, poorly written scratch note to myself while riding along here I did figure some of that feeling out. Todd's right in his post when he says that leaving this way on the veggie bus is very different for me than for him, and much for his cited reasons as well. Hitching and riding is familiar to him and not me so much.

When I caught that first ride with Frank back in Fountain, CO I felt like I needed to entertain him with banter for the free ride. We got along fine regardless, but I do remember distinctly feeling that. That second brief ride with Dan and those folks felt less so, probably due to how short it was, but again I felt like while they hauled me I should tell stories to make it worth their while. Even at Todd and Shalain's this feeling perpetuated, though less so since they're friends, but it is something ingrained in me.

I've come to understand, over my family research done since my parents divorced 20 years ago, that my Dad suffered from the same thing. I believe my Nana may have also endured a similar form of this. Perhaps its a simple enough thing of an odd take on hospitality, but it skews how I relax in situations where I'm on the receiving end of hospitality, or just generosity in general. It was a lesson I was continually learning on my walk, and was given excellent council on by a lady in Alabama. She said the more I turned down offers like money, food, etc. the more I was inhibiting generosity from spreading.

So for today, this great embarkment to get on the road, with Todd, with that sense of fully leaving this time, finally, I see myself as still in the home of another. I found myself writing in my personal journal that I really just wanted to be in a No Man's Land with others who have just as much claim to be there as I do, and therefore can do whatever I please with out feeling in the way, intrusive, or ungrateful.

All of this sounds like a great misnomer for how this ride is. Minus this feeling, which has no logical bearing on anything going on, I'm loving this ride. Devin and Leif both are really easy going and happy just doing their own thing. I understand its my own neurosis giving me this feeling, and hopefully I'll feel normal tomorrow morning. The bus is quite fantastic as well. Riding through this desert landscape in their converted 60's bus with good, funky music going from jazz to some of the local bands I know from Denver is an amazing way to unwind from work life and think again.

That's actually one of the funny things meeting up with these guys. It turns out they are friends with my friends Laura and Maria from Denver. They're all musicians and I assume know each other from touring, so I get to hear some of my favorite songs as well, that I didn't I'd hear until I unloaded my storage unit again.

All and all life is good, its just the process of decompressing. I didn't think I was going to have to go through this a second time after those strange first few days of walking out of Colorado Springs, but alas this too shall pass.

Tomorrow I anticipate being a bit more with it and comfortable in the bus. Like I said, I'm not exactly uncomfortable now, just itchy of sorts. Its an old issue of mine, and a persistent one, but one I think trips like this help erode away.



Click here for Todd's perspective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep on being honest. thats the most important thing. as im sure you know. im still in cali liven large? well liven, kickin it. doing my fare share of being near the ocean and chatting to interesting people. in the process of all of this crazy commotion, i feel sad going back but miss friends and wooks lots and lots. but my dreams of owning a voltswagon van and traveling are just getting that much more visible. miss you lots and hope to get letters soon.

luf, ang

Wendie (La Sis) said...

Old habits die hard. I think we all struggle with being comfortable with ourselves, the struggle just comes in different flavors. I'm finding the most recent version of this for me is how to be comfortable being "in the middle" -- not high as a kite nor wallowing in the doldrums.

I'm finding I'm addicted to both extremes like a drug addict who's struggling to learn a new way of walking in the world. Being at the extremes ensures I'm noticed and makes me feel alive. But how do I just be in the middle? Not too high or too low?

Maybe this doesn't relate to you but somehow it seems like it does. Would you feel the need to "pay your way" by entertaining, if you knew to the marrow of your bones that you were enough just as you are? Would I need the rush of the highs and lows, if I was completely comfortable being who I am?

Now I feel like the one daring to be so open in public.