Saturday, September 12, 2009

9/5- Lex and Val, Dave and Lynn

Waking in my pimped out hotel room feeling like I'm in the lap of luxury was quite nice. The plan for the day was also shaping up quite nicely. Another example of this serendipitous synchronicity was going to take place that day.

On our night out before I had told him I was bummed that I missed his dad and Val. It turns out that had I tried to make it to Bellevue to see them I quite likely would have missed them. They were coming down to Boise for the weekend and would be showing up that afternoon.

Glen had a plan for how I'd meet them so I stayed up in my room watching TV, making calls as it was a Saturday which is a phone day. Around 2pm they got into town and had no idea I was there. Glen was hosting them in the hotel as well and as a surprise brought them to my room to "show them what the rooms were like". When I opened the door they didn't place me at all, it was kind of hilarious.

I had wondered if they'd recognize me at all. Sure I'd befriended them recently on Facebook and they remembered me there, but as Val later put it, it was so out of context for me to be there and five years later it was quite understandable. Lex just stood there wondering why Glen and this guy in the room were beaming like they'd just pulled something off. Val was the one to get it first. Soon we were all sitting around catching up on what we've been up to for the past five years.

I didn't spend long with them as we all went to Glen's house to figure out where to go next. I just wanted to reconnect and say hi, but they'd just had a long trip over and were only expecting a quiet visit with their son. Glen was knacked from the night before, so while he took a nap Lex and Val drove me back to Lynn and Dave's so we could visit on the way.

I was also excited for Todd to meet them. I'd told him quite a bit about those two so when we pulled in we all had a bit of a chat out on the drive way. Lynn was home as well which was my first time meeting her, so it was a weird meeting circle out there for a few minutes.

Parting ways again we made arrangements to possibly meet up later in the year. Todd, Lynn, and I then retired to the back porch so I too could meet the last of Todd's lost family. Dave's kids were in town for the weekend and he was out with her kids, his kids, and the lot of them at the movies while we lounged and got to know one another.

After an hour or so he returned and the house erupted into the chaos that comes with 10 to 16 year olds. Dinner was served a bit later and the kids vanished to the TV and video game rooms as we four reclined.

It was a great evening. The two of them have been all over the world so we all swapped travel stories and general stories. Once they retired Todd and I stayed up a while longer making plans for the morrow.

Click here for Todd's story.

No comments: